What is involved in Project Governance
Find out what the related areas are that Project Governance connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Project Governance thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Project Governance journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Project Governance leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Project Governance related domains to cover and 166 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Project Governance, Business case, Chief governance officer, Climate governance, Clinical governance, Collaborative governance, Corporate governance, Cost overrun, Cultural governance, Data governance, Earth system governance, Ecclesiastical polity, Environmental, social and corporate governance, Environmental governance, Executive sponsor, Global governance, Good governance, Governance, risk management, and compliance, Governance in higher education, Information governance, Local governance, Market governance mechanism, Moral responsibility, Multistakeholder governance model, Network governance, Ocean governance, Open-source governance, Political party governance, Private governance, Project Manager, Project plan, Project stakeholder, Project stakeholders, Project team, Quality engineering, Requirements engineering, SOA governance, Security sector governance and reform, Simulation governance, Soil governance, Stakeholder management, Steering Committee, Sustainable Governance Indicators, Technology governance, Transnational governance, Website governance, World Governance Index:
Project Governance Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Project Governance outcomes and report on setting up Project Governance without losing ground.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Project Governance information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Project Governance agendas for the next 3 years?
– How do we go about Comparing Project Governance approaches/solutions?
Business case Critical Criteria:
Understand Business case adoptions and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Business case projects.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Project Governance process?
– Who is driving and leading the business case development for your organization?
– Is there a business case where additional cyber security risks are involved?
– Is Project Governance Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– What is the security -life cycle identity management business case?
– Have sensitivity of the business case been calculated?
– Is Project Governance Required?
– Right business case?
Chief governance officer Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Chief governance officer goals and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Chief governance officer projects.
– Will Project Governance have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What is our Project Governance Strategy?
Climate governance Critical Criteria:
Apply Climate governance issues and report on developing an effective Climate governance strategy.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Project Governance product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Is the Project Governance organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– How do we know that any Project Governance analysis is complete and comprehensive?
Clinical governance Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Clinical governance adoptions and balance specific methods for improving Clinical governance results.
– What is our formula for success in Project Governance ?
– How can the value of Project Governance be defined?
– How can we improve Project Governance?
Collaborative governance Critical Criteria:
Adapt Collaborative governance visions and ask questions.
– For your Project Governance project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Project Governance project?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Project Governance effort?
Corporate governance Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Corporate governance decisions and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Corporate governance is getting what it needs.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Project Governance services/products?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Project Governance delivery for example is new software needed?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Project Governance project?
Cost overrun Critical Criteria:
Understand Cost overrun projects and define what our big hairy audacious Cost overrun goal is.
– When a Project Governance manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– Does our organization need more Project Governance education?
Cultural governance Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Cultural governance failures and customize techniques for implementing Cultural governance controls.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Project Governance?
– Does the Project Governance task fit the clients priorities?
Data governance Critical Criteria:
Jump start Data governance quality and define Data governance competency-based leadership.
– Have internal procedural controls been established to manage user data access, including security screenings, training, and confidentiality agreements required for staff with pii access privileges?
– Are stakeholders, including eligible students or students parents, regularly notified about their rights under applicable federal and state laws governing data privacy?
– Before any rule is created or any data-related decision is made, a prior decision must be addressed: who gets to make the decision, and when, and using what process?
– What governance arrangements do you have in place to support the current and evolving information governance agenda?
– Kpi key performance indicators opportunities. are there opportunities to use the field/table to measure performance?
– Is collecting this data element the most efficient way to influence practice, policy, or research?
– Is there value to the organization if the data is refreshed sooner or by other ways?
– Can it be used to validate data or does it need validation performed on it?
– Where in your organization are your key data processes and players?
– How can the data element influence practice, policy, or research?
– Who knows the nitty-gritty details about your systems?
– Do new candidates write code during their interview?
– What do you want data governance to accomplish?
– What can happen without data governance?
– How can data governance be implemented?
– Is the data confidential or protected?
– Do you have an up-to-date schedule?
– Can you make a build in one step?
– What have we done so far?
– How do we maintain them?
Earth system governance Critical Criteria:
Discuss Earth system governance governance and plan concise Earth system governance education.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Project Governance products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– How can you measure Project Governance in a systematic way?
– How to deal with Project Governance Changes?
Ecclesiastical polity Critical Criteria:
Think about Ecclesiastical polity tasks and check on ways to get started with Ecclesiastical polity.
– Which customers cant participate in our Project Governance domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Do Project Governance rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Is Supporting Project Governance documentation required?
Environmental, social and corporate governance Critical Criteria:
Talk about Environmental, social and corporate governance engagements and acquire concise Environmental, social and corporate governance education.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Project Governance goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– How do we go about Securing Project Governance?
Environmental governance Critical Criteria:
Mine Environmental governance leadership and summarize a clear Environmental governance focus.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Project Governance workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Project Governance? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What will drive Project Governance change?
Executive sponsor Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Executive sponsor leadership and forecast involvement of future Executive sponsor projects in development.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Project Governance forward?
– How will you measure your Project Governance effectiveness?
Global governance Critical Criteria:
Administer Global governance governance and find the ideas you already have.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Project Governance process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Project Governance process available?
– How important is Project Governance to the user organizations mission?
– Are there Project Governance problems defined?
Good governance Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Good governance management and find answers.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Project Governance processes?
– Who sets the Project Governance standards?
– Is the scope of Project Governance defined?
Governance, risk management, and compliance Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Governance, risk management, and compliance failures and look in other fields.
– Which Project Governance goals are the most important?
– How is the value delivered by Project Governance being measured?
– Who needs to know about Project Governance ?
Governance in higher education Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Governance in higher education quality and find the ideas you already have.
– Is there a Project Governance Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– Have you identified your Project Governance key performance indicators?
– What business benefits will Project Governance goals deliver if achieved?
Information governance Critical Criteria:
Define Information governance governance and overcome Information governance skills and management ineffectiveness.
– How does your organization assess staff training needs and ensure job/role specific information governance training is provided to all staff?
– How is the chief executive or equivalent management board consulted and/or informed of information governance issues?
– What is the organizations most effective method of training for information governance knowledge and skills?
– What is the organizations preferred method of training for information governance knowledge and skills?
– In relation to information governance, what are the key challenges or changes facing your organization?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Project Governance with what users do day-to-day?
– Are accountability and ownership for Project Governance clearly defined?
– What is Effective Project Governance?
Local governance Critical Criteria:
Think about Local governance engagements and pay attention to the small things.
– How do we Lead with Project Governance in Mind?
Market governance mechanism Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Market governance mechanism decisions and sort Market governance mechanism activities.
– Is Project Governance dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Moral responsibility Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Moral responsibility tasks and observe effective Moral responsibility.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Project Governance, including any consulting or professional services?
– What are internal and external Project Governance relations?
Multistakeholder governance model Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Multistakeholder governance model outcomes and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Project Governance strengthening and reform actually originate?
Network governance Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Network governance tactics and improve Network governance service perception.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Project Governance project?
– To what extent does management recognize Project Governance as a tool to increase the results?
Ocean governance Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Ocean governance decisions and perfect Ocean governance conflict management.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Project Governance. How do we gain traction?
– Does Project Governance create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
Open-source governance Critical Criteria:
Judge Open-source governance tasks and probe Open-source governance strategic alliances.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Project Governance processes?
– Think of your Project Governance project. what are the main functions?
Political party governance Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Political party governance engagements and find answers.
Private governance Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Private governance projects and differentiate in coordinating Private governance.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Project Governance does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
Project Manager Critical Criteria:
Apply Project Manager results and get the big picture.
– With agile processes promoting the concept of self-directed teams, is there room for the conventional project manager or does this role also need to evolve to suit the principles of the new paradigm?
– How much and which way a traditional project manager has to change his/her management style or way of working in order to be an agile project manager?
– Do we have these warning signs: This project is not that big and everyone knows what they are doing -why do we need a project manager?
– How can an agile project manager balance team level autonomy and individual level autonomy in agile software teams?
– What are the actions taken by project managers when leading and implementing a transformational change initiative?
– What should the project manager(s) do differently next time your organization undergoes a change process?
– How can an agile project manager balance team level autonomy and individual level autonomy in agile software teams?
– What processes do project managers and content strategists use to collect content for client websites?
– So, if the project no longer needs a detailed master project plan, why does it need a project manager?
– What are the most important skills practitioners consider make an effective people project manager?
– So, if the project no longer needs a detailed master project plan, why does it need a project manager?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Project Governance project manager?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Project Governance requirements in detail?
– What project management qualifications does the Project Manager have?
– What is the purpose of Project Governance in relation to the mission?
– Can project managers measure project status at any point in time?
– What is the necessity of a Project Manager?
– What is the duty of a Project Manager?
– What was the project manager best at?
Project plan Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Project plan risks and catalog what business benefits will Project plan goals deliver if achieved.
– Can we add value to the current Project Governance decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Did the project team have enough people to execute the project plan?
– What are the usability implications of Project Governance actions?
Project stakeholder Critical Criteria:
Deduce Project stakeholder issues and change contexts.
– How do we manage Project Governance Knowledge Management (KM)?
– Why should we adopt a Project Governance framework?
Project stakeholders Critical Criteria:
Add value to Project stakeholders outcomes and raise human resource and employment practices for Project stakeholders.
– What are the long-term Project Governance goals?
– How to Secure Project Governance?
Project team Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Project team risks and gather practices for scaling Project team.
– When we say that the traditional project team is not self-organized, no matter how complex the project is, and what level of team we are discussing?
– How do you know that your project team members are following the documented cm processes to establish the baseline and control changes to it?
– Can we say that the traditional project team is not self-organized, no matter how complex the project is, and what level of team we are discussing?
– Is the project using any technologies that have not been widely deployed or that the project team is unfamiliar with?
– Why should a client choose a project team which offers agile software development?
– Are the project teams ready to function within agile project management?
– Project Team: Who will be on the project and for which dates?
– Describe the Leadership and Motivation for the Project Team?
– Did the project team have the right skills?
Quality engineering Critical Criteria:
Reason over Quality engineering risks and explain and analyze the challenges of Quality engineering.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Project Governance objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– What are all of our Project Governance domains and what do they do?
Requirements engineering Critical Criteria:
Start Requirements engineering tasks and forecast involvement of future Requirements engineering projects in development.
SOA governance Critical Criteria:
Derive from SOA governance management and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough SOA governance results.
Security sector governance and reform Critical Criteria:
Detail Security sector governance and reform failures and create a map for yourself.
Simulation governance Critical Criteria:
Read up on Simulation governance failures and interpret which customers can’t participate in Simulation governance because they lack skills.
Soil governance Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Soil governance decisions and reduce Soil governance costs.
Stakeholder management Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Stakeholder management decisions and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Are there project management practices that remain constant across traditional, hybrid, and agile approaches (e.g., Risk Management, stakeholder management, team building)?
– How would one define Project Governance leadership?
Steering Committee Critical Criteria:
Drive Steering Committee engagements and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Steering Committee projects.
– What are the Essentials of Internal Project Governance Management?
– What are the steering committee s roles?
Sustainable Governance Indicators Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Sustainable Governance Indicators engagements and track iterative Sustainable Governance Indicators results.
– How do we Improve Project Governance service perception, and satisfaction?
Technology governance Critical Criteria:
Focus on Technology governance strategies and define what our big hairy audacious Technology governance goal is.
– How will you know that the Project Governance project has been successful?
– Why is Project Governance important for you now?
Transnational governance Critical Criteria:
Meet over Transnational governance strategies and assess and formulate effective operational and Transnational governance strategies.
– What are the key elements of your Project Governance performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
Website governance Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Website governance outcomes and describe the risks of Website governance sustainability.
– Are assumptions made in Project Governance stated explicitly?
World Governance Index Critical Criteria:
Discourse World Governance Index projects and change contexts.
– Think about the functions involved in your Project Governance project. what processes flow from these functions?
– In what ways are Project Governance vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Project Governance Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Project Governance External links:
400: IT PROJECT GOVERNANCE – OIT
[PDF]IT Project Governance Manual Version 1
Business case External links:
What is business case? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Creating a Powerful Business Case for HR Technology
Chief governance officer External links:
A Chief Governance Officer Could Give You an Advantage
Chief Governance Officer Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Darryl Green – Chief Governance Officer – Ethoca | Crunchbase
Climate governance External links:
Climate change, climate governance – YouTube
It’s time for new climate governance – from below
What is CLIMATE GOVERNANCE? What does CLIMATE …
Clinical governance External links:
Clinical Governance Essays – ManyEssays.com
Clinical governance (Book, 2003) [WorldCat.org]
[PPT]Clinical Governance – University of Pittsburgh
Collaborative governance External links:
Welcome to Collaborative Governance
Corporate governance External links:
Morgan Stanley Corporate Governance
Regions Financial Corporation – Corporate Governance
Corporate Governance – Investopedia
Cost overrun External links:
Cost Overrun Optimism: Fact or Fiction
Cost Overrun Essays – ManyEssays.com
Predicting cost overrun of railroad bridge construction
Cultural governance External links:
The Audit Committee and Cultural Governance – WSJ
Tools. Cultural Governance. BioC strengthens Indigenous and non-Indigenous capacity, simultaneously, to gain short, medium and long-term agreed outcomes in terms of the governance issues confronting many Indigenous groups, communities and organisations.
Data governance External links:
What is data governance (DG)? – Definition from …
Data Governance – Do Job Titles Matter? – DATAVERSITY
Dataguise | Sensitive Data Governance
Earth system governance External links:
Earth System Governance | The MIT Press
[PDF]Earth System Governance – Project MUSE
Earth System Governance Project – Home | Facebook
Ecclesiastical polity External links:
Ecclesiastical Polity Archives – The Calvinist International
Ecclesiastical polity – YouTube
Of the laws of ecclesiastical polity – Internet Archive
Environmental, social and corporate governance External links:
Environmental, social and corporate governance – …
Environmental governance External links:
Environmental governance | UN Environment
[PDF]Global Environmental Governance: A Reform Agenda – …
Executive sponsor External links:
[PDF]Executive Sponsor Form – BC Patient Safety & Quality …
How to Be an Effective Executive Sponsor
[PDF]Executive Sponsor Form – Health Care in British Columbia
Global governance External links:
Global Governance, Risk & Compliance | Exiger
Global Governance Software
Good governance External links:
[PDF]What is Good Governance? – United Nations ESCAP
[PDF]Guide to principles of good governance
Governance in higher education External links:
[PDF]Shared Governance in Higher Education
Information governance External links:
Information Governance Initiative
Local governance External links:
DeLoG – Decentralisation & Local Governance
Local Governance Act Certification – NNDCD
Local Governance » Issues » Texas Public Policy Foundation
Moral responsibility External links:
Moral responsibility, problem of | philosophy | Britannica.com
Multistakeholder governance model External links:
Multistakeholder governance model – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Multistakeholder governance model
Network governance External links:
Network governance: PwC
UTSCAP Network Governance – UTSW Medicine
Ocean governance External links:
Ocean Governance | U.S. Department of the Interior
Why people matter in ocean governance: Incorporating …
Private governance External links:
[PDF]Merging Public and Private Governance: How Disney’s …
Public & Private Governance Flashcards | Quizlet
Project Manager External links:
Most Frequently Asked Project Manager Interview Questions
Project Manager Resume Sample & Writing Guide | RG
Project Manager job description template | Workable
Project plan External links:
The Purpose of a Project Plan | Chron.com
Top Project Plan Templates for Excel | Smartsheet
Peg Game Project Plan | Last Man Standing – Woodworking
Project stakeholder External links:
Which of the following best describes a project stakeholder
Project stakeholders External links:
How to Communicate With Project Stakeholders: 5 Steps
Quality engineering External links:
Software Quality Engineering | ASQ
Quality Engineering | Assurance Services | TCS
Distributors of Quality Engineering Products – Good Hand UK
Requirements engineering External links:
Requirements Engineering (eBook, 2002) [WorldCat.org]
Requirements Engineering – Springer
Requirements engineering (Book, 1996) [WorldCat.org]
SOA governance External links:
A case for SOA governance – IBM – United States
What SOA Governance Really Means – YouTube
SOA Governance Standards | OCIO
Security sector governance and reform External links:
[PDF]Security Sector Governance and Reform – OSCE
On Security Sector Governance and Reform | USOSCE
[PDF]Security Sector Governance and Reform – ETH Z
Simulation governance External links:
Simulation Governance Althea de Souza – ESRD
Simulation Governance | Industries | UL
Stakeholder management External links:
Stakeholder Management Plan in Project Management
Stakeholder Management Software | Enablon
Stakeholder Management: PMP Questions to Study
Steering Committee External links:
Steering Committee | South Bay Cities Council of …
ESINet Steering Committee – Ohio
Technology governance External links:
Information Technology Governance – University …
What is Information Technology Governance (IT …
Website governance External links:
Website Governance | Smith College
Website Governance Document Template – YouTube
Website Governance Document | Demand Metric
World Governance Index External links:
[PDF]WGI World Governance Index
World Governance Index and Pakistan’s Trade Deficit – …