What is involved in Grid Computing
Find out what the related areas are that Grid Computing connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Grid Computing thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Grid Computing journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Grid Computing leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Grid Computing related domains to cover and 149 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Grid Computing, Heterogeneous computing, Speculative multithreading, Web Services Resource Framework, Genetic algorithm, Superscalar processor, Threading Building Blocks, Cloud computing, Parallel Extensions, NASA Advanced Supercomputing facility, Scientific workflow system, Back office, Grid Security Infrastructure, Open standards, Implicit parallelism, Parallel random-access machine, Instruction pipelining, Race condition, Code mobility, Virtual Organization, Cache coherence, Discovery Net, Drug discovery, Atos Origin, Grid MP, Condor cycle scavenger, Manycore processor, Techila Grid, World Community Grid, Loop-level parallelism, Cache invalidation, Computer memory, Silicon Graphics, Simple Grid Protocol, Non-uniform memory access, Distributed system, Portable Batch System, Flynn’s taxonomy, Computer architecture, Coarray Fortran, Cache-only memory architecture, Bitcoin network, General-purpose computing on graphics processing units, Computer programming, Systolic array, Temporal multithreading, Symmetric multiprocessing, Uniform memory access:
Grid Computing Critical Criteria:
Steer Grid Computing projects and proactively manage Grid Computing risks.
– To what extent does management recognize Grid Computing as a tool to increase the results?
– Is Grid Computing Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– What happened to grid computing?
– What is grid computing?
Heterogeneous computing Critical Criteria:
Examine Heterogeneous computing failures and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Heterogeneous computing decisions.
– In what ways are Grid Computing vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Grid Computing leaders?
– How can the value of Grid Computing be defined?
Speculative multithreading Critical Criteria:
Depict Speculative multithreading goals and arbitrate Speculative multithreading techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Grid Computing does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– How do we measure improved Grid Computing service perception, and satisfaction?
Web Services Resource Framework Critical Criteria:
Define Web Services Resource Framework projects and ask what if.
– Does Grid Computing create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Are accountability and ownership for Grid Computing clearly defined?
– Is a Grid Computing Team Work effort in place?
Genetic algorithm Critical Criteria:
Map Genetic algorithm planning and get the big picture.
– Have you identified your Grid Computing key performance indicators?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Grid Computing?
Superscalar processor Critical Criteria:
Track Superscalar processor risks and ask questions.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Grid Computing processes?
– What are the disruptive Grid Computing technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Can we do Grid Computing without complex (expensive) analysis?
Threading Building Blocks Critical Criteria:
Track Threading Building Blocks outcomes and check on ways to get started with Threading Building Blocks.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Grid Computing strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Grid Computing strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Have all basic functions of Grid Computing been defined?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Unify Cloud computing adoptions and pay attention to the small things.
– Governance: Is there a governance structure to ensure that PII is managed and protected through its life cycle, even when it is stored or processed in a cloud computing environment?
– Time to market improvements. Will the move to cloud computing shorten the time it takes to deliver functional enhancements to end users?
– What are the specific security and integrity threats to cloud computing storage systems that do not exist in private data centers?
– Provider viability: what happens to your organizations applications and data in the event that the provider goes out of business?
– How can you start to build to a position of trust and risk management when setting up cloud computing for your organization?
– Will the move to cloud computing shorten the time it takes to deliver functional enhancements to end users?
– Does the rise of cloud computing make managed hosting less desired and less important?
– Is there any application left that does not talk to at least one of its fellows?
– Is cloud computing affecting traditional hardware vendors?
– How is cloud computing shaping enterprise communications?
– Is there any recourses about cloud computing performance?
– What are the security concerns with cloud computing?
– What should telcos be focusing on in 5 10 years?
– Resource provisioning algos in cloud computing?
– How do you prepare your data center for Cloud?
– Is there a market for developing niche clouds?
– What problems does cloud computing solve?
– What Is the Lifecycle Services Framework?
– How technically mature is the standard?
– What is a benefit of cloud computing?
Parallel Extensions Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Parallel Extensions goals and look in other fields.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Grid Computing product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Grid Computing project manager?
– Is maximizing Grid Computing protection the same as minimizing Grid Computing loss?
NASA Advanced Supercomputing facility Critical Criteria:
Systematize NASA Advanced Supercomputing facility failures and perfect NASA Advanced Supercomputing facility conflict management.
– what is the best design framework for Grid Computing organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Who needs to know about Grid Computing ?
– What is our Grid Computing Strategy?
Scientific workflow system Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Scientific workflow system quality and interpret which customers can’t participate in Scientific workflow system because they lack skills.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Grid Computing process?
– What is the source of the strategies for Grid Computing strengthening and reform?
Back office Critical Criteria:
Chart Back office issues and spearhead techniques for implementing Back office.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Grid Computing?
– What vendors make products that address the Grid Computing needs?
– Are we Assessing Grid Computing and Risk?
Grid Security Infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Trace Grid Security Infrastructure strategies and do something to it.
– Think about the people you identified for your Grid Computing project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Grid Computing is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Grid Computing process?
Open standards Critical Criteria:
Focus on Open standards engagements and check on ways to get started with Open standards.
– In the case of a Grid Computing project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Grid Computing project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Grid Computing project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– How do we know that any Grid Computing analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– How will you know that the Grid Computing project has been successful?
Implicit parallelism Critical Criteria:
Look at Implicit parallelism planning and attract Implicit parallelism skills.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Grid Computing products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Grid Computing? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Why should we adopt a Grid Computing framework?
Parallel random-access machine Critical Criteria:
Design Parallel random-access machine goals and sort Parallel random-access machine activities.
– For your Grid Computing project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Grid Computing forward?
– Is there any existing Grid Computing governance structure?
Instruction pipelining Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Instruction pipelining projects and mentor Instruction pipelining customer orientation.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Grid Computing services/products?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Grid Computing opportunities costing us money?
– What are the usability implications of Grid Computing actions?
Race condition Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Race condition projects and ask questions.
– Does the Grid Computing task fit the clients priorities?
– What threat is Grid Computing addressing?
Code mobility Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Code mobility governance and slay a dragon.
– Are there recognized Grid Computing problems?
Virtual Organization Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Virtual Organization planning and create a map for yourself.
– How do these developers concur over long distances in environments where people rarely if ever meet face to face in a virtual organization?
– How do these developers concur over long distances in environments where people rarely if ever meet face to face in a virtual organization?
– Does Grid Computing systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
Cache coherence Critical Criteria:
Start Cache coherence adoptions and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
Discovery Net Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Discovery Net results and remodel and develop an effective Discovery Net strategy.
– How can you negotiate Grid Computing successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
Drug discovery Critical Criteria:
Sort Drug discovery visions and adopt an insight outlook.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Grid Computing? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Does Grid Computing appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Atos Origin Critical Criteria:
Design Atos Origin adoptions and cater for concise Atos Origin education.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Grid Computing moving forward?
– What is our formula for success in Grid Computing ?
– Is Grid Computing Required?
Grid MP Critical Criteria:
Coach on Grid MP outcomes and sort Grid MP activities.
Condor cycle scavenger Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Condor cycle scavenger tactics and explore and align the progress in Condor cycle scavenger.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Grid Computing project?
Manycore processor Critical Criteria:
Examine Manycore processor tasks and change contexts.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Grid Computing processes of our organization?
Techila Grid Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Techila Grid tactics and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Techila Grid projects.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Grid Computing?
World Community Grid Critical Criteria:
Add value to World Community Grid outcomes and define what our big hairy audacious World Community Grid goal is.
– Think of your Grid Computing project. what are the main functions?
– What are all of our Grid Computing domains and what do they do?
Loop-level parallelism Critical Criteria:
Debate over Loop-level parallelism leadership and correct better engagement with Loop-level parallelism results.
– Is the scope of Grid Computing defined?
– What are our Grid Computing Processes?
Cache invalidation Critical Criteria:
Check Cache invalidation visions and finalize specific methods for Cache invalidation acceptance.
Computer memory Critical Criteria:
Grasp Computer memory tasks and reduce Computer memory costs.
– Is Supporting Grid Computing documentation required?
Silicon Graphics Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Silicon Graphics visions and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Silicon Graphics.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Grid Computing experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
Simple Grid Protocol Critical Criteria:
Understand Simple Grid Protocol results and oversee Simple Grid Protocol requirements.
– How do we Improve Grid Computing service perception, and satisfaction?
Non-uniform memory access Critical Criteria:
Derive from Non-uniform memory access failures and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– What are current Grid Computing Paradigms?
Distributed system Critical Criteria:
Meet over Distributed system outcomes and give examples utilizing a core of simple Distributed system skills.
– Are there Grid Computing Models?
Portable Batch System Critical Criteria:
Talk about Portable Batch System visions and achieve a single Portable Batch System view and bringing data together.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Grid Computing with what users do day-to-day?
Flynn’s taxonomy Critical Criteria:
Review Flynn’s taxonomy adoptions and reduce Flynn’s taxonomy costs.
– What are our needs in relation to Grid Computing skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Grid Computing?
– Do we all define Grid Computing in the same way?
Computer architecture Critical Criteria:
Design Computer architecture decisions and find the essential reading for Computer architecture researchers.
– Is Grid Computing dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Coarray Fortran Critical Criteria:
Test Coarray Fortran leadership and research ways can we become the Coarray Fortran company that would put us out of business.
Cache-only memory architecture Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Cache-only memory architecture management and oversee Cache-only memory architecture management by competencies.
– Do the Grid Computing decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Which Grid Computing goals are the most important?
– Who sets the Grid Computing standards?
Bitcoin network Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Bitcoin network governance and perfect Bitcoin network conflict management.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Grid Computing project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Grid Computing values?
– Could the Bitcoin Network Be Used as an Ultrasecure Notary Service?
General-purpose computing on graphics processing units Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on General-purpose computing on graphics processing units quality and find the ideas you already have.
– Are assumptions made in Grid Computing stated explicitly?
Computer programming Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Computer programming leadership and find answers.
– Consider your own Grid Computing project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– How likely is the current Grid Computing plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Systolic array Critical Criteria:
Administer Systolic array tactics and find the essential reading for Systolic array researchers.
– Is there a Grid Computing Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Grid Computing objectives?
– How do we maintain Grid Computings Integrity?
Temporal multithreading Critical Criteria:
Own Temporal multithreading strategies and stake your claim.
– How important is Grid Computing to the user organizations mission?
– How do we keep improving Grid Computing?
Symmetric multiprocessing Critical Criteria:
Refer to Symmetric multiprocessing management and research ways can we become the Symmetric multiprocessing company that would put us out of business.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Grid Computing in a volatile global economy?
– How can you measure Grid Computing in a systematic way?
Uniform memory access Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Uniform memory access governance and describe which business rules are needed as Uniform memory access interface.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Grid Computing study?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Grid Computing Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Grid Computing External links:
[PDF]Grid Computing – University of Minnesota Duluth
Grid computing (Book, 2006) [WorldCat.org]
Grid computing (eBook, 2004) [WorldCat.org]
Heterogeneous computing External links:
Heterogeneous Computing with OpenCL 2.0 – …
Heterogeneous Computing – AMD
How should I learn heterogeneous computing? – Quora
Speculative multithreading External links:
A thread partitioning approach for speculative multithreading
Qinling: A Parametric Model in Speculative Multithreading
[PDF]Supporting Speculative Multithreading on …
Web Services Resource Framework External links:
[PDF]Web Services Resource Framework (WSRF) – Primer
Genetic algorithm External links:
Genetic algorithm walkers | FlowingData
Genetic Algorithm Stock Portfolio Calculator
Genetic algorithm-based clustering technique – …
Superscalar processor External links:
[PDF]Constructing a Superscalar Processor in Logisim – …
Superscalar Processor Organization – YouTube
[PDF]A First-Order Superscalar Processor Model
Threading Building Blocks External links:
Threading Building Blocks – Official Site
OpenMp vs Intel Threading Building Blocks? – Quora
Cloud computing External links:
Cloud Computing and Data Center Infrastructure as a Service
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
Parallel Extensions External links:
Matthew Podwysocki’s Blog – Adding Parallel Extensions to …
NASA Advanced Supercomputing facility External links:
NASA Advanced Supercomputing Facility – studylib.net
NASA Advanced Supercomputing Facility | See the blog …
Back office External links:
#1 Back Office and POS Software – Modisoft
ResNexus Back Office Login
Back Office – Investopedia
Open standards External links:
BIM Interoperability & Open Standards | Autodesk
Definition of “Open Standards”
Open Standards Benchmarking – APQC
Implicit parallelism External links:
Implicit Parallelism: – Computer Science
2 04 Imprving Implicit Parallelism – YouTube
What is Implicit Parallelism | IGI Global
Parallel random-access machine External links:
parallel random-access machine – NIST
Instruction pipelining External links:
Instruction Pipelining – cs.umw.edu
Instruction Pipelining – YouTube
[PDF]So far CMSC 411 Unit 3 – Instruction Pipelining
Race condition External links:
Race condition (software) – DEVOPEDIA.ORG
What is a Race Condition – Frequently Asked Questions
multithreading – What is a race condition? – Stack Overflow
Code mobility External links:
CiteSeerX — Understanding Code Mobility
Code Mobility – stressfreecloud.solutions
Code Mobility – seoservice.solutions
Virtual Organization External links:
Virtual Organization Essays – ManyEssays.com
Virtual Organizations :: Organizational Structure – …
What is Virtual Organization | IGI Global
Cache coherence External links:
What is cache coherence? Webopedia Definition
[PDF]Cache coherence in shared-memory architectures
Cache Coherence II (CS) – YouTube
Discovery Net External links:
Lan Center Discovery Net – Home | Facebook
[PDF]CASTING THE DISCOVERY NET TOO WIDE …
Discovery Net – Ballet – YouTube
Drug discovery External links:
Collaborative Drug Discovery – Official Site
Drug Discovery News, Articles, Events | Drug Target Review
Drug Discovery & Development | Strategies & …
Atos Origin External links:
AEXAF Stock Quote – Atos Origin Price – Nasdaq
Jobs at Atos Origin | Ladders
Manycore processor External links:
[PDF]Building Manycore Processor-to-DRAM Networks …
World Community Grid External links:
IBM Thought Leadership – World Community Grid
IBM World Community Grid
World Community Grid – Nonprofit Leadership Alliance
Loop-level parallelism External links:
[PDF]Using Loop-Level Parallelism to Parallelize …
What is loop-level parallelism? – insideHPC
22. Support for Loop-level Parallelism
Cache invalidation External links:
Cache Invalidation Overview – Google Cloud Platform
4 Answers – Why is cache invalidation considered difficult?
Automate Akamai Cache Invalidation | Akamai Community
Computer memory External links:
Best Computer Memory – Top-Rated DDR4 RAM Kits
Desktop Memory/RAM : Computer Memory – Micro Center
Computer Memory | DDR4 DDR RAM Upgrades | Crucial.com
Silicon Graphics External links:
Silicon Graphics International Corp – Robbins Arroyo LLP
Simple Grid Protocol External links:
Simple Grid Protocol – Sensagent.com
http://dictionary.sensagent.com/simple grid protocol/en-en
Simple Grid Protocol – Revolvy
https://update.revolvy.com/topic/Simple Grid Protocol&item_type=topic
Non-uniform memory access External links:
Non-Uniform Memory Access – EzyLinux | EzyLinux
Non-Uniform Memory Access – Nekochan
Non-Uniform Memory Access (NUMA): Overview – Petri
Distributed system External links:
Large-Scale Distributed System Design | Independent …
Portable Batch System External links:
OBM – IT abbreviation – PBS-Portable Batch System – …
[PDF]PBS Portable Batch System – Jefferson Lab
[PDF]PBS Portable Batch System – University of Delaware
Flynn’s taxonomy External links:
Mod-03 Lec-23 Flynn’s Taxonomy, SIMD and Vector …
Flynn’s Taxonomy / Useful Notes – TV Tropes
ICAR – Flynn’s Taxonomy Flashcards | Quizlet
Computer architecture External links:
Computer Architecture Flashcards | Quizlet
Computer Architecture | Department of Computer Science
Coarray Fortran External links:
Coarray Fortran 2.0 – Performance Results
Cache-only memory architecture External links:
CiteSeerX — DDM — a cache-only memory architecture
[PDF]DDM – A Cache-Only Memory Architecture
Bitcoin network External links:
Bitcoin Network (@bitcoinnetwork3) | Twitter
Tacoma Bitcoin Network (Tacoma, WA) | Meetup
General-purpose computing on graphics processing units External links:
General-purpose computing on graphics processing units
Computer programming External links:
Computer Programming, Robotics & Engineering – STEM For Kids
Computer programming | Computing | Khan Academy
The Meaning of Beep: Computer Programming – BrainPOP
Systolic array External links:
Systolic Array for Neural Network #1 – YouTube
systolic array – YouTube
Symmetric multiprocessing External links:
SMP (symmetric multiprocessing) – Gartner IT Glossary
Linux and symmetric multiprocessing – IBM
What is SMP (symmetric multiprocessing)? – Definition …
Uniform memory access External links:
[PDF]Non-uniform memory access (NUMA) – cc.gatech.edu
c++ – Measuring NUMA (Non-Uniform Memory Access). …
Non-uniform memory access – YouTube