What is involved in Software Project Estimation
Find out what the related areas are that Software Project Estimation connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Software Project Estimation thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Software Project Estimation journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Software Project Estimation leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Software Project Estimation related domains to cover and 169 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Software Project Estimation, Software development effort estimation, AFCAA REVIC, Agile software development, Bayesian statistics, Case-based reasoning, Cognitive dissonance, Computing platform, Cone of uncertainty, Cost estimation in software engineering, Cost estimation models, Cost overrun, European Journal of Information Systems, Function Point Analysis, Function points, Fuzzy logic, Genetic programming, Gödel, Escher, Bach, Hofstadter’s law, Lexical analysis, Linear programming, Neural networks, Ninety-ninety rule, Object point, PRICE Systems, Planning fallacy, Planning poker, Project management software, Proprietary software, Proxy-based estimating, Putnam model, Regression analysis, Regression trees, Small matter of programming, Soft computing, Software development, Software license, Software metric, Software parametric models, Source lines of code, Story point, TruePlanning for Software, Use Case, Use Case Points, Web application, Weighted Micro Function Points, Wideband Delphi, Wishful thinking, Work breakdown structure:
Software Project Estimation Critical Criteria:
Discourse Software Project Estimation management and figure out ways to motivate other Software Project Estimation users.
– When a Software Project Estimation manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– How do we know that any Software Project Estimation analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– What will drive Software Project Estimation change?
Software development effort estimation Critical Criteria:
Detail Software development effort estimation quality and overcome Software development effort estimation skills and management ineffectiveness.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Software Project Estimation products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– In a project to restructure Software Project Estimation outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– How will you know that the Software Project Estimation project has been successful?
AFCAA REVIC Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in AFCAA REVIC strategies and get answers.
– Does Software Project Estimation include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Software Project Estimation effort?
Agile software development Critical Criteria:
Study Agile software development quality and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Agile software development projects.
– When you are identifying the potential technical strategy(s) you have several process factors that you should address. As with initial scoping how much detail you go into when documenting the architecture, the views that you create, and your approach to modeling are important considerations. Furthermore, will you be considering one or more candidate architectures and what is your overall delivery strategy?
– Much of the agile advice is oriented towards small teams of up to ten people, who are either co-located or near located, who have ready access to their primary stakeholders, and who are working on software that can be easily organized into a series of small releases. What about large teams?
– The fundamentals of agile software development, agile project management, and evolutionary development have been proven and demonstrated to be highly successful. Are these now preferred in our organization?
– How can we fix actual and perceived problems uncovered in ethnographic investigations of Agile software development teams?
– Will Agile advantages be able to overcome the well-known existing problems in software development?
– Do we know the difference between lean and agile software development?
– Should you have a strict project sequence, or should you be flexible?
– From Waterfall to Agile How does a QA Team Transition?
– Complexity: an appropriate framework for development?
– Do we use kanban, and know how it compares to scrum?
– What does it mean to scale agile solution delivery?
– If you used Agile in the past, but do not now, why?
– What challenges do teams face when scaling agile?
– How large is the system that is being developed?
– What Can We Learn From a Theory of Complexity?
– How do disciplined agile teams work at scale?
– What type of system is being developed?
– What Is Extreme Programming?
– Why Agile, and Why Now?
– What is Agility ?
Bayesian statistics Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Bayesian statistics leadership and overcome Bayesian statistics skills and management ineffectiveness.
Case-based reasoning Critical Criteria:
Examine Case-based reasoning issues and maintain Case-based reasoning for success.
– For your Software Project Estimation project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Software Project Estimation been identified and analyzed?
– Is Supporting Software Project Estimation documentation required?
Cognitive dissonance Critical Criteria:
Study Cognitive dissonance issues and drive action.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Software Project Estimation leader?
– How would one define Software Project Estimation leadership?
Computing platform Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Computing platform tactics and overcome Computing platform skills and management ineffectiveness.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Software Project Estimation project?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Software Project Estimation processes of our organization?
Cone of uncertainty Critical Criteria:
Jump start Cone of uncertainty decisions and explain and analyze the challenges of Cone of uncertainty.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Software Project Estimation experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– How likely is the current Software Project Estimation plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– Why should we adopt a Software Project Estimation framework?
Cost estimation in software engineering Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Cost estimation in software engineering planning and intervene in Cost estimation in software engineering processes and leadership.
– what is the best design framework for Software Project Estimation organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– How can you negotiate Software Project Estimation successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Who sets the Software Project Estimation standards?
Cost estimation models Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Cost estimation models planning and check on ways to get started with Cost estimation models.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Software Project Estimation?
– Is there any existing Software Project Estimation governance structure?
Cost overrun Critical Criteria:
Value Cost overrun tasks and know what your objective is.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Software Project Estimation objectives?
European Journal of Information Systems Critical Criteria:
Recall European Journal of Information Systems failures and catalog European Journal of Information Systems activities.
– What are our needs in relation to Software Project Estimation skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Have all basic functions of Software Project Estimation been defined?
– What about Software Project Estimation Analysis of results?
Function Point Analysis Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Function Point Analysis decisions and adopt an insight outlook.
– What business benefits will Software Project Estimation goals deliver if achieved?
– How to deal with Software Project Estimation Changes?
Function points Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Function points decisions and triple focus on important concepts of Function points relationship management.
– How important is Software Project Estimation to the user organizations mission?
– Why is Software Project Estimation important for you now?
Fuzzy logic Critical Criteria:
Grasp Fuzzy logic strategies and grade techniques for implementing Fuzzy logic controls.
– Does Software Project Estimation create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Software Project Estimation process?
– What are internal and external Software Project Estimation relations?
Genetic programming Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Genetic programming issues and track iterative Genetic programming results.
– In the case of a Software Project Estimation project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Software Project Estimation project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Software Project Estimation project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Software Project Estimation. How do we gain traction?
Gödel, Escher, Bach Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Gödel, Escher, Bach tasks and find the ideas you already have.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Software Project Estimation?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Software Project Estimation project manager?
– Why are Software Project Estimation skills important?
Hofstadter’s law Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Hofstadter’s law leadership and tour deciding if Hofstadter’s law progress is made.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Software Project Estimation in a volatile global economy?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Software Project Estimation?
Lexical analysis Critical Criteria:
Face Lexical analysis tasks and describe which business rules are needed as Lexical analysis interface.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Software Project Estimation does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– What is our formula for success in Software Project Estimation ?
Linear programming Critical Criteria:
Trace Linear programming governance and finalize the present value of growth of Linear programming.
– What are the Essentials of Internal Software Project Estimation Management?
Neural networks Critical Criteria:
Understand Neural networks leadership and sort Neural networks activities.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Software Project Estimation? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Do we have past Software Project Estimation Successes?
Ninety-ninety rule Critical Criteria:
Review Ninety-ninety rule planning and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Ninety-ninety rule information.
– Does the Software Project Estimation task fit the clients priorities?
Object point Critical Criteria:
Own Object point projects and report on developing an effective Object point strategy.
– What are all of our Software Project Estimation domains and what do they do?
PRICE Systems Critical Criteria:
Read up on PRICE Systems outcomes and gather PRICE Systems models .
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Software Project Estimation services/products?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Software Project Estimation process?
– Who needs to know about Software Project Estimation ?
Planning fallacy Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Planning fallacy decisions and correct better engagement with Planning fallacy results.
– Is the Software Project Estimation organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
Planning poker Critical Criteria:
Sort Planning poker projects and secure Planning poker creativity.
– What are the usability implications of Software Project Estimation actions?
– How is the value delivered by Software Project Estimation being measured?
– Do we all define Software Project Estimation in the same way?
Project management software Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Project management software results and cater for concise Project management software education.
– Which customers cant participate in our Software Project Estimation domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Software Project Estimation strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Software Project Estimation forward?
Proprietary software Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Proprietary software strategies and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Proprietary software is getting what it needs.
– Are assumptions made in Software Project Estimation stated explicitly?
– Does Software Project Estimation appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Proxy-based estimating Critical Criteria:
Categorize Proxy-based estimating leadership and find out.
– Think about the people you identified for your Software Project Estimation project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
Putnam model Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Putnam model risks and plan concise Putnam model education.
– How do we measure improved Software Project Estimation service perception, and satisfaction?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Software Project Estimation move?
– What are the short and long-term Software Project Estimation goals?
Regression analysis Critical Criteria:
Detail Regression analysis decisions and look at it backwards.
Regression trees Critical Criteria:
Track Regression trees quality and find the ideas you already have.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Software Project Estimation agendas for the next 3 years?
– Are there Software Project Estimation problems defined?
Small matter of programming Critical Criteria:
Model after Small matter of programming goals and devote time assessing Small matter of programming and its risk.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Software Project Estimation with what users do day-to-day?
– How much does Software Project Estimation help?
Soft computing Critical Criteria:
Mine Soft computing strategies and track iterative Soft computing results.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Software Project Estimation?
– Is Software Project Estimation dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Software development Critical Criteria:
Value Software development decisions and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Software development.
– As corporate ventures usually go to new business areas and work with new technologies, they are most likely unable to utilize existing commercial or parent corporations in-house development methods. Could Agile Manifesto and agile methods be a good starting point for the corporate venture to start their development effort towards their own, efficient agile in-house software development method?
– What if your business needs are still emerging and certain aspects of the system are rapidly changing or cannot be defined yet?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– Can agile methods be used effectively for evolving a system in response to customer change requests?
– What software development and data management tools been selected?
– So what do your developers do differently in agile?
– How could a more enhanced framework be developed?
– What is and why Disciplined Agile Delivery (DAD)?
– What are you planning to complete today?
– How is the development team organized?
– What is the expected system lifetime?
– Detaching: when does it break down?
– Heritage of traditional methods?
– How good are our agile methods?
– What Is Exploratory Testing?
– What makes agile better?
Software license Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Software license outcomes and get going.
– What implementation technologies/resources (e.g., programming languages, development platforms, software licenses) does the provider support?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Software Project Estimation activities?
– Is our software usage in compliance with software license agreements?
– Which Software Project Estimation goals are the most important?
Software metric Critical Criteria:
Dissect Software metric failures and grade techniques for implementing Software metric controls.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Software Project Estimation processes?
– Among the Software Project Estimation product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– What are the best software metrics for discerning Agile (vs. non-Agile) process effects on teams artifacts?
– What threat is Software Project Estimation addressing?
Software parametric models Critical Criteria:
Check Software parametric models issues and figure out ways to motivate other Software parametric models users.
– Is Software Project Estimation Required?
Source lines of code Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Source lines of code engagements and maintain Source lines of code for success.
– Can we do Software Project Estimation without complex (expensive) analysis?
Story point Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Story point projects and triple focus on important concepts of Story point relationship management.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Software Project Estimation opportunities costing us money?
– How to Secure Software Project Estimation?
TruePlanning for Software Critical Criteria:
Generalize TruePlanning for Software risks and attract TruePlanning for Software skills.
– Is maximizing Software Project Estimation protection the same as minimizing Software Project Estimation loss?
– In what ways are Software Project Estimation vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– How do we go about Securing Software Project Estimation?
Use Case Critical Criteria:
Dissect Use Case failures and probe the present value of growth of Use Case.
– While a move from Oracles MySQL may be necessary because of its inability to handle key big data use cases, why should that move involve a switch to Apache Cassandra and DataStax Enterprise?
– Are responsibilities clear across monitoring market developments, engagement, internal communication, driving use cases?
– Are efforts focused on identifying use cases from real pain points (and not finding a problem for blockchain to solve)?
– Are NoSQL databases used primarily for applications or are they used in Business Intelligence use cases as well?
– What are the use cases that your organization is targeting currently for its cmdb/cms?
– Of the different industry use cases, what are the top ones that you want to monitor?
– What are the use cases that your org is targeting currently for its CMDB/CMS?
– Are there potential use cases that your organization wants to drive?
– What are the use cases that your org is targeting currently for its CMDB/CMS?
– What killer use cases in mobile payments have not been considered?
– How can the best Big Data solution be chosen based on use case requirements?
– What are the best use cases for Mobile Business Intelligence?
– Are any competitors experimenting with use cases?
– What are the best Internet of Things use cases?
– What use cases are affected by GDPR and how?
– Do we have Things use cases?
Use Case Points Critical Criteria:
Define Use Case Points visions and observe effective Use Case Points.
Web application Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Web application risks and innovate what needs to be done with Web application.
– I keep a record of names; surnames and emails of individuals in a web application. Do these data come under the competence of GDPR? And do both the operator of the web application and I need to treat them that way?
– Are my web application portfolios and databases ready to migrate to the Windows Azure platform?
– Is Software Project Estimation Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– Who Is Responsible for Web Application Security in the Cloud?
– How do you approach building a large web application?
– How does IT exploit a Web Application?
Weighted Micro Function Points Critical Criteria:
Unify Weighted Micro Function Points results and catalog Weighted Micro Function Points activities.
Wideband Delphi Critical Criteria:
Shape Wideband Delphi outcomes and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Wideband Delphi.
Wishful thinking Critical Criteria:
Chart Wishful thinking planning and correct Wishful thinking management by competencies.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Software Project Estimation processes?
– Will Software Project Estimation have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Software Project Estimation project?
Work breakdown structure Critical Criteria:
Group Work breakdown structure planning and drive action.
– Explain in detail the Work Breakdown Structure?
– How do we Lead with Software Project Estimation in Mind?
– Are there Software Project Estimation Models?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Software Project Estimation Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Software Project Estimation External links:
[PDF]Software Project Estimation – Home | i.c.stars
Agile software development External links:
What is Agile Software Development? | Agile Alliance
What is Agile? Learn About Agile Software Development
Bayesian statistics External links:
[PDF]1 What is Bayesian statistics and why everything else is …
[PDF]Bayesian Statistics: An Advancing Introduction – …
https://ou.edu/content/dam/CoE/DSA/DSA 5403 Bayesian Statistics.pdf
Case-based reasoning External links:
Case-Based Reasoning. (eBook, 2014) [WorldCat.org]
[PDF]Case-Based Reasoning Leake, 1996
Case-based reasoning (eBook, 1993) [WorldCat.org]
Cognitive dissonance External links:
[PDF]Cognitive Dissonance – Missouri S&T
Read this Psychology Essay and over 88,000 other research documents. Cognitive Dissonance. Cognitive Dissonance is a psychological discomfort caused …
“Day 5” Cognitive Dissonance (TV Episode 2016) – IMDb
Computing platform External links:
In-Memory Computing Platform | GigaSpaces
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
Nutanix Xtreme Computing Platform NX-1365-G5 – CDW.com
http://www.cdw.com › … › Storage Networking/SAN Software
Cone of uncertainty External links:
Cone of Uncertainty – agilenutshell.com
Western Mass in “cone of uncertainty” for Jose | WWLP.com
Cost estimation models External links:
[PDF]1.1. Cost Estimation Models – CSSE
http://csse.usc.edu/afcaa/manual_draft/Cost Estimation Models.pdf
Cost overrun External links:
Cost Overrun Essays – ManyEssays.com
Predicting cost overrun of railroad bridge construction
European Journal of Information Systems External links:
European Journal of Information Systems – Springer
European Journal of Information Systems | palgrave
European Journal of Information Systems – Palgrave
Function Point Analysis External links:
Function Point Analysis – Quality Software Management
Function Point Analysis Jobs – Apply Now | CareerBuilder
[PDF]Illustrative Example of a Function Point Analysis for …
Function points External links:
[PDF]Estimation Based on Function Points – University of …
Fuzzy logic External links:
Fuzzy Logic Toolbox – MATLAB – MathWorks
Hydrofarm — Autopilot Digital CO2 Controller Fuzzy Logic
Fuzzy logic | mathematics | Britannica.com
Genetic programming External links:
Genetic Programming | The MIT Press
Gödel, Escher, Bach External links:
Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid – reddit.com
Gödel, Escher, Bach – De l’épistémologie à l’esthétique
Hofstadter’s law External links:
Hofstadter’s Law and Realistic Planning | Psych Central
Hofstadter’s Law – YouTube
Hofstadter’s Law – Home | Facebook
Lexical analysis External links:
Lexical Analysis | The MIT Press
[PDF]Lexical Analysis and Lexical Analyzer Generators
Linear programming External links:
SparkNotes: Inequalities: Linear Programming
IXL – Linear programming (Algebra 2 practice)
[PDF]7.4 Linear Programming: The Simplex Method
Neural networks External links:
A Nitty-Gritty Explanation of How Neural Networks Really …
Ninety-ninety rule External links:
What is the Ninety-Ninety Rule? – Definition from Techopedia
Ninety-Ninety Rule : n. – catb.org
Urban Dictionary: Ninety-Ninety Rule
Object point External links:
Gamemaker Tutorial – Making object point towards …
PRICE Systems External links:
PRICE Systems – Global Locations | PRICE Systems
Learning Styles by Price Systems, Inc. – Human eSources
Planning fallacy External links:
The Planning Fallacy: Why We Always End Up …
Planning Fallacy – The Personal MBA
The planning fallacy and reference class forecasting
Planning poker External links:
Planning Poker: Agile Estimating Made Easy
Frequently Asked Questions | Planning Poker
Project management software External links:
Huddle | Team Collaboration & Project Management Software
Dynamics SL – Project Management Software – microsoft.com
Proprietary software External links:
Chapter 8 – Open Source and Proprietary Software – YouTube
Disadvantages of Proprietary Software | Chron.com
Putnam model External links:
Emily Putnam Model – Home | Facebook
[PDF]Putnam model – magic
Regression analysis External links:
Automated Regression Analysis for Real Estate …
How to Read Regression Analysis Summary in Excel: 4 …
Regression trees External links:
[PDF]Building Consistent Regression Trees From …
Construct classification and regression trees – MATLAB
[PDF]Linear Regression and Regression Trees Avinash …
Small matter of programming External links:
A Small Matter of Programming | The MIT Press
0262140535 – A Small Matter of Programming: …
Soft computing External links:
Introduction to Soft Computing – Course
Soft Computing Lecture : Associative Memory – YouTube
Applied Soft Computing – ScienceDirect.com
Software license External links:
Microsoft Software License Terms
QuickBooks Terms of Service & Software License …
Upgrading and renewing a software license – Symantec
Software metric External links:
[PDF]25TH ANNIERSARY ISSUE A New Software Metric to …
A software metric system for module coupling – ScienceDirect
Source lines of code External links:
Counting Source Lines of Code (SLOC) – dwheeler.com
Source lines of code – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Source lines of code
Source lines of code (LOC, SLOC, KLOC, LLOC)
Story point External links:
Story Points – eagereyes
Story Points – What’s the point? » Rational Geek
Story Point – Pre Dev Plan – Grove City, Ohio
Use Case External links:
How to Write a Use Case – Bridging the Gap
Identify use case scenarios | Microsoft Docs
TeamViewer Use Case – Remote Support
Use Case Points External links:
[PDF]Use Case Points – University of Kansas
Estimating With Use Case Points – Methods & Tools
Web application External links:
INSPI² Web Application – Safeguard Properties
GSA – FSS Web Application Server
Weighted Micro Function Points External links:
Weighted Micro Function Points – Revolvy
https://broom02.revolvy.com/topic/Weighted Micro Function Points
Weighted Micro Function Points – WOW.com
Weighted Micro Function Points (WMFP) – …
Wideband Delphi External links:
Wideband Delphi | Lean Software Engineering
Wishful thinking External links:
Wishful Thinking (1997) – IMDb
Annoying Orange – Wishful Thinking – YouTube
Antibiotics: When Science And Wishful Thinking Collide
Work breakdown structure External links:
[PDF]UNCLASSIFIED Work Breakdown Structure – CADE
Free Work Breakdown Structure Templates – Smartsheet
[PDF]Work Breakdown Structure – RHIC | Relativistic Heavy …